Death Benefit Claims
How do I submit a Claim for Death Benefit?
You should first contact the person that set up the policy for you to establish that the benefit applies to your policy. This is either your Financial Advisor, one of our financial consultants or representatives. They will guide you through these steps:
Step 1: Send the following items to your Financial Advisor or to us:
- The Deceased's Original Birth Cert - we will return this immediately. If there are two lives insured on the policy please submit both birth certificates.
- Original Marriage Cert - if the deceased person was a married woman with a different surname than on her Birth Cert.
- The Original Policy Document - You must complete a Lost Policy Declaration if the policy document is lost.
- Grant of Probate - where the deceased Life Insured is the sole policy owner we will require sight of the original Grant of Probate.
- The Deceased's Original Death Cert - we will return this immediately.
Step 2: We may write to the Life insured's GP for medical reports for our Chief Medical Officer.
Step 3: We will send your Financial Advisor a letter confirming the value and outlining any outstanding requirements. If the policy is assigned to a bank or building society we will write to the institution to request the original Policy Document and Deed of Assignment and notify your Financial Advisor of this. The benefit will be paid to the assignee unless we get written instructions from them to pay the policy owner directly. Where there is life cover under the policy we may request a medical report from the life insured's GP on behalf of our Chief Medical Officer.
Step 4: On receipt of all our requirements your claim will be assessed and where the claim is admitted we will send payment by cheque to your financial advisor or directly to yourself should you instruct us to do so.
Under the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Acts 2010 and 2013, Zurich Life requires clients to provide 'Evidence of Identity' and 'Proof of Address' and other supporting documentation.